Masterclass – Customer Care Skills for the Service Desk
March 5, 2020, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Providing great customer service in a technical environment demands a unique blend of skills – it’s not enough simply to possess the technical know-how.
In every situation we are dealing with people and the significant impact technology has on their daily working lives – especially when things go wrong! Customers come in all guises with a vast range of knowledge from the utter technophobe through to out and out experts. In other words, every person a service team member deals with is different, in the same way that every technical issue may be unique. Navigating both these strands can be immensely challenging!
Rather than serving up “quick fix” techniques, this Masterclass aims to create the genuine willingness and desire to do the best for each customer, however challenging the situation – ultimately leaving every customer feeling as comfortable as possible, whatever the circumstances. To enable this, we’ll focus on three of the most critical aspects of great service provision: The foundations, communication and interpersonal skills and handling “difficult” situations.
So, to help you better understand:
- What great service is really all about
- How our feelings affect any customer interaction
- Why people often behave “unreasonably” when technology fails them
- The importance of full engagement, even if the technical fix is a challenge
Facilitated by Chris Markiewicz, a highly experienced learning & development practitioner who has delivered customer service and management courses for a wealth of organisations both in the UK and overseas, this event is designed for anyone who has contact with customers – whether internal or external.
What will it involve?
In this one-day interactive event we will cover:
- An exploration: “What we do well and what we do less well at the moment”
- What underlies excellent and poor customer service – how it feels
- Communication – the oil that lubricates
- Making that connection – every time, with every customer
- How we communicate and our communication styles
- Choosing the most appropriate method for any communication – written, phone, face to face?
- Do we really say that? – The profound impact of our language
- Clarity in a technical environment
- Coming across with true integrity
- Dealing with “difficult” customers and situations – are they “difficult”
- The “LAW” model for resolving issues
- The vital importance of listening as a customer care skill and for defusing situations
- Separating the person from the issue – avoiding “bad person illusion”
- The upside of complaints – using them to strengthen the relationship and make improvements
Attendees are welcome, and encouraged, to bring their own real-world scenarios for discussion if they are comfortable with sharing them.
What are the key benefits of attending?
Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Take away a deeper understanding of the value of good customer care and how it fits into the “bigger picture”
- See things much more from the customers’ perspective and appreciate how that will lead to greater success
- Possess the communication skills to be able to handle customer enquiries and queries to everyone’s satisfaction
- Gain the confidence to deal with any “difficult” or complaining customers
- Take away practical tools and strategies to employ alongside a shift in perspective and attitude
Why do I need to undertake the Customer Service Skills Masterclass?
Providing great customer service enables you to:
- Handle customer enquiries and issues with greater confidence
- Understand what lies behind our and customers’ behaviours and the related dynamics
- Employ proven ‘life skills’ with colleagues and customers
- Build stronger internal relationships and enhance your reputation as a service provider
- Enjoy the role more!
Those front-line interactions are ultimately what make or break any service provider’s reputation. In the case of external customers, it is invariably where business is retained or lost. And, with internal “captive” customers, it’s where collaborative, efficient working can be at stake with significant potential cost to the organisation and relationships.
How much does it cost?
Places are available to itSMF UK members for £295.00 + VAT.
Not yet a member? You’ll be shown a price of £460 + VAT which includes an ‘Individual’ level annual membership. To find out about other membership levels, benefits and costs please click here.
Please contact the office on 0118 918 6500 to discuss an on-site running of this event.