Workshop – Shift Left
October 11, 2018, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Shift Left in IT service management (ITSM) is the concept of moving the activity of providing resolution support as close to the front line and customer as possible. By doing so, reducing wait time for customers, simplifying support activity, and reducing the actual cost of dealing with an incident.
To help you better understand:
- What you need to know about Shift Left in ITSM
- How to create the right environment and culture for shifting left
- How to leverage what you already have (processes, skills, metrics, knowledge)
- What you need to be doing to make it successful
We are hosting a workshop on “Shift Left”, which will take place in London on 11th October 2018. Facilitated by Barclay Rae, an independent consultant who is industry recognised for his ITSM knowledge and experience; the workshop is designed for ITSM professionals either looking to get started with Shift Left or looking to improve their existing efforts.
What will it involve?
In this one-day interactive workshop we will cover:
- What makes Shift Left effective
- The myths of Shift Left and their realities
- How to determine what to Shift Left in your organisation
- Understanding that Shift Left is as much about relationships as it is about documents and processes
- Ways to reduce the need for incident escalation
- Continual Service Improvement (CSI) and where it fits in with Shift Left initiatives
- How to reduce communication overload in order to streamline engagements and touchpoints so that each interaction on an incident is relevant, understood, and the correct action is taken
- How to use Shift Left to identify shortfalls and improvement opportunities in your ITSM tool
- How to identify achievable monthly targets and KPIs that drive the right business behaviours
- How to get buy-in from senior managers and get technical teams onside
Attendees are welcome, and encouraged, to bring their own real-world scenarios for discussion if they are comfortable with sharing them.
What are the key benefits of attending?
Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- The opportunity to quickly understand the key tenants of Shift Left, the benefits it can bring to your organisation, and how to get started
- To discover how to simplify your escalation and support processes – acceptance/rejection, updating, chasing, resolving, and closing – in order to cut out waste (and hassle)
- To learn how Shift Left initiatives tie in with CSI and how to use the CSI improvement model; and additionally, how they tie in with (and reinforce) DevOps thinking
- The opportunity to sense check existing company thinking, plans, and decisions in light of industry good practice.
Why do I need to Shift Left?
Employing Shift Left techniques enables your organisation to:
- Create value for the business, not just save cash for IT (although reducing costs is still a significant benefit)
- Reduce costs across the business – cost to the organisation (minimalising service disruption), costs to the service desk (third line support is traditionally more expensive), and more
- Reduce waste, avoid bottlenecks, and ultimately speed up resolution to the customer
- Create a culture of ownership and accountability for results, not just activities
- Free up IT staff time to allow them to concentrate on activities that add more value to the business
- Improve IT operations across quality, speed, and satisfaction
Ultimately, using Shift Left techniques enables you to break down silos across IT to ensure that your service desk has the resources, access, and tools it needs to handle as many of a customer’s issues at the point of contact as possible. It’s about being more efficient and empowering the customer; so answer us this: can you really afford not to do it?
How much does it cost?
Workshop places are available to itSMF UK members for £275.00 + VAT. Not a member? Find out about membership benefits and costs here.
Please contact the office on 0118 918 6500 to discuss an on-site running of this event.