Online Masterclass – Value Stream Mapping
February 25, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
FULLY BOOKED – WAITLIST IN OPERATION – NEW DATE ADDED FOR 27 APRIL
Value Stream Mapping – Visual Value of Work Management
The most common complaint about IT is that the other stakeholders in your organisation do not see nor appreciate the value of your work. Are these refrains familiar:
- We spend all this money on IT or technology and we get very little
- We spend too much money on “Keeping the lights on” while our competitors kill us with innovative use of technology
- The reason I did not come to you (Shadow-IT) is that you always say No or you‘re too busy or it is not in our budget for this year and I need it NOW!
- Why is IT so slow to give us what we need?
- How can we improve what we do?
Value Stream Mapping (VSM) is a technique to look at a timeline of events in several ways. It is meant for teams or leaders to observe what is really happening against what they expect. In this way, they can ascertain the obstacles or constraint and work together to mitigate them.
VSM turns the way you work into a visual landscape. It is a decision-making tool and underpins the DevOps, Agile and ITSM movements by helping technology be applied to ensure the flow of work is generating quality and safety (security or business continuity) products and services.
VSM fools people. You typically begin creating your value stream system by looking at where you are today. VSM asks the questions “where do you want to be?”. Now look at where are you today and how are you going to get to where you want to be. What is stopping you? How can you make the trip smoother and safer? What do you need to stop doing or start doing? Now your stream of work will have flow and you are more assured it will provide value.
- Agreement on what you want really from a way of doing something
- Agreement on what is happening today (steps, tools used, data used, vendors and people involved, meetings, time, obstacles)
- Agreement on what the future should look like
- Agreement on the iterative, small steps needed and how you will know you are on course at the end of each step or experiment
Facilitated by Daniel Breston who has over 40 years of international technology leadership, consulting, and coaching. Daniel has used VSM for over 30 years to help teams and their leadership overcome obstacles, remove the waste in a way of working and improve what they do in rapid increments.
What will it involve?
- Create a one-page document of Value intent
- Look at a way of working holistically
- Explain the 4 steps of a VSM exercise: What we want, Current view, Future view, Step Plan
- Roles involved: Facilitator and best participants
How much does it cost?
Places are available to itSMF UK members for £295.00 + VAT.
Not yet a member? You’ll be shown a price of £460 + VAT which includes an ‘Individual’ level annual membership. To find out about other membership levels, benefits and costs please click here.
Please contact the office on +44 (0) 118 918 6500 to discuss a dedicated delivery of this event for your organisation.