Masterclass – People Management Skills
June 11, 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
People management is a vital component of any Continual Service Improvement (CSI) strategy. The management team form that vital link between the bigger picture and those in the front line dealing directly with service users. People management is about getting things done through your people – rather than doing them yourself. All too often, individuals move into management roles with minimal guidance on how to lead and motivate. They can default to those comfortable task-based activities whilst overlooking what a good people manager should really be engaged with!
This masterclass offers an introduction to some of the skills, behaviours and strategies required to help ensure a motivated, top-performing team capable of providing the utmost in customer service. The event is particularly relevant to new managers and those poised to move into such a role. It will also serve as a useful reminder to more experienced managers of elements of best practice when managing teams and individuals.
Note: This is not a fully-fledged management programme but looks at three of the most critical aspects of good people management: management behaviours, motivation and performance management.
So, to help you better understand:
- What effective people management involves in a service desk environment
- Why managers in an ITSM environment can get it wrong and how that can be prevented
- What really makes team members “tick”
- The challenges of moving from a task focused role into people management
- How managing and motivating others leads to greater customer satisfaction and enhanced reputation for the service provider
Facilitated by Chris Markiewicz, a highly experienced learning & development practitioner who has delivered customer service and management courses for a wealth of organisations both in the UK and overseas, this event is designed for anyone with line management or supervisory responsibilities – or those primed to take on such a role.
What will it involve?
In this one-day interactive event we will cover:
- What makes a good manager? Identifying effective management behaviours
- Leader or manager? – the distinctions
- Challenges of moving from a technical to a people management role
- Situational leadership – adopting a flexible management style
- Where’s the focus? Action centred leadership
- The motivational approach – creating the will in your people to perform
- “Everyone’s different”. Taking the individual approach
- Intrinsic vs extrinsic motivators
- The five key performance management activities
- Delivering effective, relevant feedback – some ground rules
- Setting genuinely robust objectives that stick!
- Why people under-perform and handling such situations effectively
- Dealing with behavioural issues – and not just the symptoms!
Attendees are welcome, and encouraged, to bring their own real-world scenarios for discussion if they are comfortable with sharing them.
What are the key benefits of attending?
Benefits include, but are not limited to:
- Gain clarity on the skills and behaviours required to manage people effectively
- Identify and be better able to deal with what gets in the way of managing well
- Develop a greater ability to manage and motivate in differing situations
- Pick up skills and tips on how to handle performance and behavioural issues
- Achieve more through your people
Why do I need to undertake the People Management Skills Masterclass?
Applying the skills shared on this event, will help you to:
- Manage people with greater confidence and natural authority
- Establish and develop each individual team member’s strengths and potential
- Lead a team who are committed to customer satisfaction that goes beyond merely meeting SLAs
- Learn from those in the front line as intelligence to shape and improve the CSI strategy
- Enhance IT service provider reputation and status within the organisation
The principles of people management are essentially quite simple, yet not always easy to apply – those strange beings called people can tend to make things extremely challenging at times! Attending this event will help navigate those daily challenges any manager can face around performance, behaviours and motivation. This will result in better service offering for your users, whether internal or external.
How much does it cost?
Places are available to itSMF UK members for £295.00 + VAT.
Not yet a member? You’ll be shown a price of £460 + VAT which includes an ‘Individual’ level annual membership. To find out about other membership levels, benefits and costs please click here.
Please contact the office on 0118 918 6500 to discuss an on-site running of this event.