Assessment & Benchmarking
Ian MacDonald FBCS CITP FSM
The Co-operarative Banking Group
In the competitive marketplace and commercial world in which we operate, the internal IT organisation can no longer get away with simply believing that it is 'Good'
The ability to continually assess and benchmark your overall IT capability will play an important role in helping you to demonstrate and evidence your commitment to Continual Service Improvement (CSI).
The greatest value derived from 'Assessment and Benchmarking' is when it is positioned as an integral part of the IT organisations strategic intent to continually improve the capability of the IT organisation and its people to deliver improved services to its business customers.
In this way, 'Assessment and Benchmarking' is not viewed as a one off exercise or point in time activity but an ongoing commitment that provides the focus, direction and guidance that drives Continual Service Improvement across the IT organisation.
This whitepaper provides guidance and support in how to develop this strategic approach and how to maximise the value you derive from the results of your 'Assessment and Benchmarking' activities based on the following methods:-
- Self Assessment
The paper also includes some practical 'case study examples' of how the above approach and methods have been used to help us:-
- Create a compelling sense of purpose for the IT organisation
- Creating the strategic intent for Continual Service Improvement
- Improve our ITIL Process maturity
- Implement Process Management
- Establish new measures and targets
- Achieve 'Customer Led' certification for the Service Desk
- Drive our Operational planning to address identified gaps
- Establish a Capacity Management capability
- Using Customer Insight to improve customer satisfaction
- Understanding how our IT Services compare (Cost and Efficiency) with our peer group
- Change the culture to seek external recognition
To help you get started we provide a comprehensive 'Starter Pack Toolkit' that provides tangible guidance and support in how to commence developing your 'Assessment and Benchmarking' strategy.