Print Page | Contact Us | Report Abuse | Sign In | Join
SFIA - too daunting?
Thread Score:
>
>|
Thread Actions

02/08/2014 at 09:22:48 GMT
SFIA - too daunting?
SFIA is a very comprehensive framework for organisations and individuals. Yet many that I speak to seem to roll their eyes heavenwards and think that it is over engineered, too complicated and too much effort to even contemplate using it. In contrast, there are some organisations that have used it to great effect

What do you think? If you are using it, please let us know how you find it. If you are in the 'wont touch it with a barge pole' camp, then it would be great to know the reasons why and if you have not yet contemplated using SFIA, then it would be useful to know your thoughts too

09/09/2014 at 07:50:39 GMT
I would need to get a clearer understanding of expectations to properly understand why anyone would feel like this. Based on my own experience I can't understand how someone would come to a conclusion that this is too complicated.

I have sometimes heard these challenges used in cases where the real worry is "it's too much effort". It will require real effort and real commitment.

As with any significant change programme, management level buy in and support is essential. The one trying to get buy-in needs to be confident in understanding and articulating the case for moving to SFIA.

In my experience the tendency to over-engineer and over-complicate usually comes in implementation...when you are dealing with those affected by the outcome or with vested interests.

10/09/2014 at 21:53:54 GMT
So how did you get started with articulating the case for SFIA and winning over the doubters?

17/09/2014 at 14:55:54 GMT
Key right at the start is to have the right people on-board...engaged. We made sure this had the HR Director sponsorship to ensure continued Board-level visibility and buy-in. The overall lead and driving force was our Global Head of Learning and Development. Next comes an active, engaged and committed sponsor in the affected departments, that's where I came in for the Application Support organization. I was then very lucky to find an exceptional leader from within my organization. A real well-known, sleeves rolled up, hands dirty operational manager. Once he was fully bought in to the case for change we couldn't have hoped for a better ambassador across Application Support.

01/11/2014 at 10:55:20 GMT
Link to SFIA case study at DHL

http://www.experiencedrivendevelopment.com/getting-the-most-out-of-70-20-10/

09/11/2014 at 11:17:59 GMT
SFIA is Interesting but limiting

Hi,

I personally used SFIA after attending SITS 2014 and then recommended to couple of colleagues but they found it difficult to get access to the SFIA ... my intention was to get few more of the management people interested in SFIA before recommending to a larger group. 

Also i lacked good presentations on how an individual gets benefited and how an organization gets benefited that can be reused to educate teams and organizations.

the outcomes of a the assessment was good and useful, but getting the interest of people and asking them to assess is the challenge. 

Thanks and regards

Sathiyan Srinivasan 

12/11/2014 at 15:00:01 GMT
I have used it in the past and found it very helpful in setting the right level of expectation for each role. It takes time to get used to however and everyone involved needs to be aware of how to apply it pragmatically otherwise variations occur.

I have experienced difficulties in getting HR on board. As it is an IT based framework, unless you are an IT company they are not interested in utilising any framework that does not have applicability across the whole organisation.

14/11/2014 at 13:26:52 GMT
Martin - absolutely agree with your points - especially on pragmatism in it's application.
The tendency is always to want to go into far too much detail, to insist on a huge list of skill types relevant to a role. We tried to stick to 3-5 skills per role and tried to make people think about the ones that distinguish this particular role form other roles in the organization. Otherwise you end up with a lot of "generic" skills creeping in everywhere - and this unfortunately dilutes the potency of that skill in the role to which it is really most relevant.

18/11/2014 at 12:54:44 GMT
Martin, I too have experienced difficulty in getting HR on Board and found that their eyes glaze over when showing them the framework - even when showing the SFIA App to a HR colleague who has expressed a need for the sort of stuff that SFIA does. It is the perceived complexity that is also the issue as well.

19/11/2014 at 21:29:26 GMT
As a SFIA Accredited Consultant I've faced this issue several times in the last 12 years that I've been using SFIA. As a SFIA Trainer, I've noticed that so many more HR people are coming on the 1-day Understanding SFIA course, and are often driving the SFIA implementation from within HR. There are quite a few tips and approaches which we share in the training, as there isn't a one-size-fits-all for all organisations. Usually the plain English language of SFIA appeals to HR, as they haven't got to deal with the technical terms and three letter acronyms that we seem to like in IT. It forces the IT guys to talk skills, people and plan English, and allows the HR people to add much more value. You have to work out what the challenges are for the HR people, and speak directly to those and how SFIA helps. Other common HR issues that SFIA can help with include one-to-one meetings between employees and their managers, which are often mandated by HR and resented as low value, but become much more constructive and valuable to the individuals and the organisations once SFIA is used to confirm the skills needed to be successful in a role, the skills and experience levels already held by the individual, and therefore the gap which needs to be addressed.

Premier Gate
21 Easthampstead Road
Bracknell
Berks RG12 1JS

Tel: 0118 918 6500

Fax: 0118 969 9749

Contact Us